Chennai, one of the four metropolitan cities of India, offers endless opportunities, boasts of unique historical infrastructures, and an excellent tourist spot. Here are 10 great places to visit and things to do on a weekday in Chennai.
1. Marina Beach – Thinking about visiting, we cannot miss the Marina Beach, India’s largest beach. With an extent from Fort St. George to Besant Nagar, the beach is lined with palm trees. An old lighthouse stands on the southern end of Marina alongside several other structures like an aquarium, a swimming bath, and a park nearby. The sunrise here may be a classy example of breathtaking beauty. Entertaining activities are lined up when you are taking a stroll on the sands. The food stalls serve delicious seafood at excellent prices. At an equivalent time, pony rides, beach games, and kite flying activities also are present to form your evening relaxing.
2. Guindy National Park and Snake Park – The tourists at Guindy will treat their eyes with blackbucks, spotted deer, jackals, tortoise and so on. The Snake Park is home to cobras and pythons. This place is undoubtedly one of the best places to visit in Chennai that make anyone forget the regular city life. https://www.holidify.com/places/chennai/guindy-national-park-sightseeing-125235.html
3. Arulmigu Kapaleeswarar Temple – The unique architectural style, in-depth detail of Gopuram and temple head, and the magnificent height of around 37 meters are what makes this temple the best place to visit in Chennai. The Dravidian sort of temple construction is most famous in cities of South India, and Kapaleeshwar temple maybe a live example of an equivalent.
The temple is home of deities Shiva and Karpagambal, holds a festival in March and April while attracting thousands of devotees in its premises. Asl, a huge tank filled with water, is another pleasant place having a religious value as well as was used as a store of water in ancient times.
4. Vadapalani Murugan Temple – This 125-year-old Hindu Temple is one of the most important worship places in Chennai. Dedicated to Lord Murugan, the architecture of the temple is a traditional South Indian with lots of colors and carvings. The Murugan idol is shown to be wearing footwear, which isn’t a standard sight. One can Visit the samadhis of Annasamy Thambiran and Bagyalinga Thambiran inside the temple and See the legends of Skanda Purana at the Gopuram located at the doorway.
5. Vivekananda House – A place to be motivated and enjoy a completely new knowledgeable experience will lead everyone to Vivekananda House where they can enjoy a fun tour of Swami Vivekananda’s life. His utmost significant teachings are often received by visiting the gallery, meditation room, and Vivekananda Park. This historic place houses a permanent exhibition on Indian Culture and Swami Vivekananda’s life and can provide a positive vibe when one is on its tour. This place is one of the best places to visit in Chennai as Swami Vivekananda spent a few days at this place after his return from West. https://vivekanandahouse.org
6. Arignar Anna Zoological Park – A little away from the city center, Arignar The zoological park is home to more than 500 species of wild beings were some of which are endangered.
An aviary, lion safari, deer safari, and an elephant safari form the foremost popular sections of the zoo. Apart from this, a separate section for nocturnal animals could be reached too. An aquarium, butterfly house, reptile house, amphibian house, crocodile enclosure are a part of the premises, which makes it one among the simplest places to go to in Chennai.
7. Semmozhi Poonga – Semmozhi Poonga Park is a botanical garden in the Chennai city covering an area of over 20 acres. With family and friends, this place is often visited to explore the exotic and rare flora and fauna. Many medicinal herbs are also found here. Visitors can relax on the park grounds that are subdivided into the rockery, butterfly garden, fern garden, garden, and lots of more themed gardens on its laps. Natural beauty sights of ducks swimming in rivers, dancing lights and well-kept tree lines energize anyone with fresh air and flowers scent.
8. VGP Universal Kingdom – This award-winning amusement and theme park is one of the first ones in Chennai. Some consider this massive 45-acre park with a personal beach to be the most important funfair in India. Loved by children and adults alike, the park is one of the most exciting places to visit in Chennai.
You can get up and close with goats, ponies, and sheep at Petting Zoo, Interact with the Statue Man dressed in the traditional Chola empire dress and try thrilling rides like Tornado, Viking, and Wave Swinger.
9. Government Museum Chennai- This majestic complex comprises six buildings and nearly fifty galleries; the impressive works cross every era and branch of science and art, from zoology and anthropology to puppetry, painting, and fiber-optic sculpture.
10. Chennai Rail Museum – Indian Railways’ Regional Rail Museum in Chennai, Popularly known as the Chennai Rail Museum, is located on the northwest end of Integral Coach Factory (ICF) Furnishing Division, adjacent to the New Avadi Road. Spread over 6.25 acres of land, with an exhibit area of 360 sq meter, the Museum houses steam engines, vintage coaches, a photograph gallery, also as other attractions.
Chennai city offering something for everyone. And the list of things to do in Chennai just keeps growing. Be it the cafe culture or magnificent museums, this city has kick-started several trends that were adapted by other metropolitans like wildfire.