India, May 29th, 2018: The months of April and May are usually best known for being the summer vacations at school. And summer vacations symbolize the start of a veritable feasts at home, courtesy one’s parents or grandparents. The last 10 years however, have brought a different meaning to this period of the year; another reason to celebrate with family, friends and food: the IPL season. But just because the occasion may have changed, the idea of relishing the festival with a feast doesn’t go away! This is just what Swiggy’s order analysis indicate as well. The 51- day long IPL mania came to an end with Chennai Super Kings sweet victory against Sunrisers Hyderabad on Sunday. Swiggy’s order analysis revealed how Chennaites watched the match by gorging on Chicken Biryani and Chicken Fried Rice during the match hours. Chennai also saw the highest increase in orders during IPL with a jump of 44% followed by Pune (40%) and Delhi (37%).
During the entire IPL season, consumers across the country settled in to gnaw on a slice of pizza and french fries rather than their nails during the close moments of every match. In fact, Pizza orders grew by 11% compared to non-IPL days.
When their teams managed to achieve the sweet taste of victory, customers savored the moments primarily with Sweet Lassi, Choco Lava Cake and Gulab Jamun, as the most ordered desserts during match days.
Here’s a look at a few insights:
- It’s no surprise that Bangalore topped the list for pizza orders as supporters watched their team win from losing positions and vice versa
- Though not among the qualifying four, the Kings XI had a good season this year and the fans joined in their celebration with over 100% increase in orders for tradional punjabi dishes like Kadai Paneer, Dal Makhni and Butter Nan in Chandigarh.
- CSK celebrated their return to the IPL this year and Chennai celebrated with them. Chicken and Mutton Biryani were the most ordered items however the city also ordered a record number of fries during their team’s matches with the one team that made them feel the heat: the Sunrisers Hyderabad
- Jaipur too celebrated their team’s royal return to the tournament with a mix of Paneer Butter Masala, Kadai Paneer and Aloo Tikki Burger as RR added their own spicy twist to their position-hopping IPL campaign this season
- While Mumbai started off slow, the team soon caught up. Cheering for them, Mumbaikars opted to settle in with Dal Khichdi, making it the highest ordered food item during the IPL in Mumbai.
- Finally, consumers in Delhi consoled themselves with a comfortable yet indulgent mix of Butter Nan and Dal Makhni.
Highlighting how IPL has been all about action, suspense, drama and most of all, food, Swiggy saw a 25% increase in order numbers during IPL, compared to pre-IPL; with the highest number of orders received on the final day.
Amidst all the cricketing action on screen, consumers also caught simple yet witty IPL themed TVCs from Swiggy. In fact, post these ads, Swiggy witnessed an increase in searches and orders for items like Gulab Jamun, Donuts and Khichdi that were a part of these ads. In short, the IPL truly showcased this year why it is, above all else, the ‘Indian’ Premier League!
Note: Swiggy is India’s largest food ordering and delivery platform. In addition to the order analysis from the finale, the above findings are derived from Swiggy’s order analysis from April 07, 2018 to May 22, 2018 for Delhi-NCR, Gurugram, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Chandigarh, and Kolkata.
Founded in 2014, Swiggy is India’s largest food delivery platform with over 35,000 restaurant partners spread across 14 cities. Using innovative technology, the platform provides a hassle-free, fast and reliable delivery experience. Every order delivered by Swiggy’s fleet, the largest in India, ensures a host of customer-centric features like lightning fast delivery, no minimum order value, live order tracking and 24/7 customer support. For more information, visit www.swiggy.com or connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.