• Coimbatore, October 1 st, 2018, The Vodafone Coimbatore Marathon is all set to captivate the city once again. This sixth edition of the event has a reason to inspire as it scales a new high with over 15,000+ participants registering for the event. The organizers unveiled the official t-shirt and medals that the finishers will receive on the Race Day which is scheduled to be held on Sunday, 7 th October 2018.
• The marathon brought to the city by Coimbatore Cancer Foundation (CCF) in association with Coimbatore Runners & Show Space Events, not only celebrates the spirit of Coimbatore but also the benevolence of the city as it is held in aid of CCF, a registered charitable trust dedicated to the counselling, care and support of cancer patients and their family members. CCF, founded on 4th March 1991, has completed 27 years and functions out of the cancer wards of G Kuppuswamy Naidu Memorial Hospital, Coimbatore.
Through the Marathon, CCF has increased awareness about cancer, helped provide early detection with the help of screening camps along with follow up care and offer counselling for patients and their family as well. Apart from these, in the field of palliative services end of life care, CCF offers hospice and home care for the terminally ill. Going a step further, CCF offers grief and bereavement services, helping people deal with their loss.
The Vodafone Coimbatore Marathon is recognized by the Tamil Nadu Athletic Association & the Coimbatore District Athletic Association. The marathon comprises three events, a 21.1 km Run (half marathon), a 10 km Run and a 5 km Run/Walk.
Prize money amounting to over Rs. 2.5 lakh will be presented to the winners in separate categories for men and women. The prize money for the Half Marathon (21.1 km run) will be Rs. 25,000/-, Rs. 15,000/- & Rs. 10,000/- respectively for the first, second and third place holders, while for the top three places in the 10 km category prize money will be Rs. 15,000/- , Rs. 10,000/- & Rs. 5,000/- respectively.
In the veteran’s category, the prize money for the top three finishers in the Half Marathon will be Rs. 15,000 /-, Rs. 10,000 & Rs. 5,000/- respectively, while for the 10 km run the first and second place will receive Rs. 10,000/- & Rs. 7500/- with the third place finisher taking home Rs. 5,000/-.
Thanks to the tremendous success of the previous five editions, this year’s marathon has captivated the interest of the corporate world, with returning sponsors and new sponsors coming on board this year, including:
• Title Sponsor – Vodafone
• Powered by – ELGi Equipments
• Platinum Sponsors – ELGI Rubber & LMW
• Gold Sponsors – Bosch, Lakshmi Card Clothing, Milacron & Soliton
• Silver Sponsors – Crocodile India & Janatics Pneumatic
• Breakfast Partner – Madhampatty Hospitality
• Education Partner – PSG Institutions
• Mall Partner – Brookefields Mall
• Official Car Partner (Silver Sponsor) – Rajshree Mahindra
• Tamil News Partner – Puthiyathalaimurai
• Technology Partner – Netcon
• Wellness Partner – GKNM Hospital
• Associate Sponsors – Aqua group, Lakshmi Ring Travellers, Prima Donna, T-Stanes & Trident Pneumatics
• Goodwill Sponsors – Jacobi Carbons, MAK Controls & State Street HCL Services
The Marathon route will be fully supported by aid stations, hydration points, medical facilities, ambulance services, route markers, course marshals & the finish area with refreshments, etc. Timing chips will be used to keep track of the participants and provide official and personal times.
Speaking on the occasion, Mr. S. Murali, Business Head, Vodafone Idea Limited, Tamil Nadu said, “Vodafone is privileged to be associated with the sixth edition of Vodafone Coimbatore Marathon. This association has helped us serve the community by supporting the efforts in spreading Cancer awareness. The number of participants have been increasing every year, which is an indication of the rising awareness about the cause as well as the popularity of the marathon. At Vodafone we are passionate about the health, safety and well-being of our employees, stakeholders and society in general. We dedicate this marathon to the enduring determination of human spirit over cancer.”
Speaking on the occasion, Dr. Balaji, Managing Trustee CCF said, “The Coimbatore Marathon has become a landmark event not just in the marathon calendar of India but also in our initiatives against Cancer. The event, over the years, has inspired thousands of people to come forward to raise awareness for the cause, has instilled courage in the hearts of thousands of patients and has transformed the lives of many families. We are extremely proud to have organized the event for the sixth year and the proceeds have enabled us to strengthen our programs and reach out to many more in the community who need our services. As we strive to add value to life, the event will play a more crucial role in the years to come. We eagerly wait for the Race day. Thousands of feet running for the cause has become a sight to behold every year in Coimbatore.”
Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Ramesh Ponnuswami, Race Director said “The sixth edition of the Coimbatore Marathon is all set to be the biggest running event in the history of Coimbatore. Thanks to the tremendous support from the public, corporates, government agencies and other stakeholders, the event has reached an all-time high of over 15000 participants, proving yet again that this is the favourite marathon of the city. The event was started in 2013 with an objective to deliver a world class running event to the city of Coimbatore. Year on year, it has been gaining momentum to inspire other running events and it continues to raise the bar in creating memorable experiences for runners from across the country. The 7th of October 2018 will be a wonderful day where the love for the city, the passion for running and the desire to raise cancer awareness come together to inspire thousands of people.”
About Coimbatore Cancer Foundation (CCF):
CCF is a registered charitable trust and a research institution providing Counselling and Cancer care support for the patients and their family members in the cancer wards (VNCC) of G. Kuppusamy Naidu Memorial Hospital, Coimbatore. The Coimbatore Cancer Foundation was conceived and established on 4th March, 1991 by “Padmabhushan” Shri.K. Sreenivasan, who himself was a cancer patient.
About Coimbatore Runners:
Coimbatore Runners is an informal assembly of people who share a passion for running. Founded in 2011 with an intent to promote recreational running for a healthier lifestyle. It is a non profit organization with more than 500 members across a broad spectrum of interests and individuals, various age groups & professions. No matter what one’s running goal is, members get support and encouragement from other members. Long distance running with the goal of finishing a marathon or half marathon drives most of the members in this group. Membership is free.
About Show Space:
Show Space is one of India’s leading event management companies that began its journey back in 1998. Active in many industry segments – Automotive, Engineering, Consumer Durables, Telecom, Sports etc. catering to several marquee clients operating in India & overseas. Has been a partner with Coimbatore Runners for Coimbatore Marathon from 2013 onwards.